Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hairstreaks from my archives.

We have a lot of new visitors to this blog. Not sure many of you know that I have been chasing butterflies with my camera since 1997.  Hairstreaks are some of my favorites and thought I'd share some with you. My butterfly website has more see a lot more butterflies there.

Striped Hairstreak, Satyrium liparops one of my favorites, this was found in South Carolina on a canoe trip, totally unexpected. I have seen these in North Carolina and Virgina also.


 Here is an Satyrium sylvinus  taken in California back in 2002 with my trusty D30 camera.

 Arcadian Hairstreak, Satyrium acadica taken in New York back in 2003 taken with my Canon D10. This one location was given to me and I have only seen it at this one location.


Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak, Strymon istapa I think this is from south Texas, I have seen them in southern Florida also.
Coral Hairstreak, Satyrium titus I found this one in the North Carolina Piedmont back in 2002. These can be common here in June. The photo below is an Coral Hairstreak from Colorado, looks a good bit different. This is a tailless hairstreak, the only tailless hairstreak in the eastern US.

White M Hairstreak, Parrhasius m-album
We get these in the yard, here it is on our plum tree. You can tell that it is a White M hairstreak when you see it fly, it flashes a brilliant iridescent blue in flight.
Red-banded Hairstreak, Calycopis cecrops These are quite common here in North Carolina.
Dusky-blue Groundstreak,  Calycopis isobeon I found these common in south Texas. The look a lot like our Red-banded Hairstreak.


Edward's Hairstreak, Satyrium edwardsii Fairly hard to find unless you know where to look for it. June is a good time to find then in the North Carolina Sandhills.
Great Purple Hairstreak, Atlides halesus Both images are from our yard, one in the spring on American Plum the other in summer on Apple Mint. I really wanted photo of this hairstreak, I traveled 2 hours to find it and later found them in our garden.





King's Hairstreak, Satyrium kingi Pretty rare and hard to find. This was taken in the North Carolina Sandhills in June of 2004.
Hickory Hairstreak, Satyrium caryaevorum This is found in North Carolina and is extremely rare, but I found this one in New York where they are much more common..

Martial Scrub-Hairstreak, Strymon martialis This was found in the Florida Keys way back in 2002! These images have been hidden away for a long time! The photo below shows it with the wings open.


Leda Ministreak, Ministrymon leda I found this tiny tiny ministreak in a puddle in southern Arizona. This is the only Leda I have ever seen.

White Scrub-Hairstreak, Strymon albata When I found this in south Texas back in 2004 it had recently been found in the US for the first time.

Silver-banded Hairstreak, Chlorostrymon simaethis This hairstreak was found in south Texas in 2004. Certainly on of the coolest I have ever seen.


Xami Hairstreak, Callophrys xami I found this also in South Texas in 2004. It is one of the most prized hairstreaks to find in the US.


Bramble Hairstreak, Callophrys perplexa This was found in Colorado. Could not have found a fresher one I believe. It is also a tailless hairstreak.



The news says we broke a record with five days in a row with temps in the 100s! Three more 100 degree days expected next weekend...

18 comments:

Jim Lewis said...

I have admired your butterfly photos for so long. I have many in my garden, but am a novice. What are the best web sites to help me identify the ones I have her in the midlands of South Carolina. Love your site!

Randy Emmitt said...

Jim,

Thanks for visiting! My web site www.rlephoto.com covers every single butterfly species found in South Carolina, North Carolina and both Virginias. The flight dates and roll over images are quite helpful.

tina said...

Your butterfly pictures are as always superb and it's such a great resource for some of us gardeners. I think my favorite has to be the green one or the orange and purple one. Wow on the vivid colors.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

What amazing little creatures. I think you hypnotize them to get their photos! I never can get that close....zoom or no zoom.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What amazing pictures! I don't think I've ever seen one around here. Thanks for id'ing my butterfly the other day (Lorquin's Admiral). If it ever visits my yard again I'll know what it is!

Bonnie K said...

I'm so impressed with your photos. I spent an hour running around our yard trying to get a photo of our butterflies and gave up. Hopefully nobody saw me as I probably look insane. The little buggers don't sit still and they see you coming. I think I'll just enjoy your photos. Hairstreaks are one of my favorites.

Carol said...

Oh, Randy your captures are phenomenal! Your Great Purple Hairstreak is gorgeous. Bramble H. is pretty amazing too . . . so many I never see. You have been so helpful to all of us in the identification of our finds . . . I am so grateful to you and to Sweetbay for sending me to you. A wonderful collection today! Beautiful photos!

Lona said...

Your photographs are amazing Randy. The details in them are so wonderful. You must have a lot of patience and a very steady hand.LOL!

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you Randy! I'm a happy person tonight! :-) Not only have you SEEN each of these beautiful little butterflies, but you've a prize collection of photos!! I didn't even know there were little Green hairstreaks Anywhere... much less in the US of A! What a huge treat!!

Now you can go back to your "regular programming." lol

Andrea said...

Hi Randy, i have been visiting rlephoto for quite awhile, and I wish someone from this country do something like that for our reference. I have difficulty in identifying ours. We have a lot in our property in the province but my photos/lens not very good for them. I saw your equipment and processing equipment list too. We have some hairstreaks, one also has bluish back view and a decoy head. But they are so small like 2-3cm. I love chasing them but can't produce lovely photos. That last green one is scary but beautiful. How big is it?

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

I had no idea there were so many different hairstreaks! I think it's wonderful that you've had an opportunity to photograph so many. I see gray hairstreaks here, but I think that's about it. I love the blue of the Martial Scrub!

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

How cool is that?? I never knew there was such diversity!

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

Also, what camera/lens do you use to get those shots?

eileeninmd said...

Randy, your photos are awesome. Such a great collection of hairstreaks. I never realized there were so many. The last one is a cool looking color. They are all beautiful.

Karen said...

You have so many wonderful images here; and so much talent! I hope you are staying cool in the heat wave.

sweetbay said...

Gorgeous shots Randy. These little butterflies are so beautiful.

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga shoes
longchamp bags
nike air max
golden gooses sneakers
yeezy shoes
air max 97
balenciaga sneakers
goyard handbags
nike x off white
michael kors outlet

Unknown said...

Your Domain Name discover this you can look here navigate to these guys try this out site link