Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fall Underway!!

Last Sunday I visited Duke gardens again! Here is the famous red bridge. The light was too bright yet I managed this photo with help in my editor to compensate.

I have a new computer a macbook pro my first mac! Not exactly found a photoshop replacement, nor do I want to pay the big bucks to buy it again..... My Photoshop CS program is 5 years old and cost something like $600+..


This is a Japanese anemone called Honorine Jobert I looked it up on the net and found that a few local nurseries might have it.  I visited the nursery in Carrboro and purchased September Charm.  Then I found the Holland Bulb company has Honoring Jobert and ordered 3 plants and another 3 anemones direct from Holland I expect them any day. A great deal 6 plants $21 and free shipping hoping I wasn't scammed.
Several posts back I complained about missing the gingers in bloom. Above is ' Elizabeth' Never seen it before, wow! Below is the hardy White Ginger, it takes a lot of room but the fragrance is wonderful!

Below are buds on our Hellebore niger purchased last spring, 8- 10 buds in all! The nursery in Carrboro also had one plant with buds like these!


We are going on the Orange County art tour today, visited 5-6 studios last weekend, hope to do a posting on some of the cool stuff seen on the art tour.

19 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely garden to visit. I love the Japanese anemones and Elizabeth gingers.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Southern Lady said...

Just beautiful! I went to Duke the other week with my daughter, but did not have time to view the gardens. She was there to see the campus (how lovely). We also had to visit UNC on the same day so we had to hurry. We are hoping for an acceptance letter to Duke...then maybe our next visit will be a lot longer. Thanks for sharing your great pictures! Carla

The Redneck Rosarian said...

Beautiful Pictures

Unknown said...

Lots of beauties still blooming in your neck of the woods! I went to the park yesterday and took lots of fall shots. Need to get them loaded up.

I can save the blue bottles for you if you like. I think I am actually going to attend the Hellebore festival this year. How about you?

fer said...

Very beautiful garden! I like the photo of the bridge.

D said...

Randy, the reflection of that bridge in the water is spectacular.

As for the Japanese anemone, we had to rid our garden of them: here they establish such a deep root and spread. In fact, we have an area outside the garden, a path that has been run over with a truck, and they thrive. I believe that one is 'Prinz Heinrich', a lovely one, but...

Meredith said...

Ah, Honorine Jobert is one of my favorites. I hope she'll take hold and do really beautifully in your garden, Randy.

That first photo is absolutely breathtaking!

Hazel said...

That bridge! Where is Monet when you need him?

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

White flowers in fall are very refreshing after all the yellows, browns and orange.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Beautiful, it is a paradise!

Lisa said...

What a great view in the Duke Gardens!

And as a lifetime Mac user, I hope you enjoy your new Mac!

Lisa

compost in my shoe said...

I am investing in Lightroom soon after a presentation I saw at Garden Writers recently in Dallas. Two of my favorite professional garden photographers, David Perry and and Mark Turner use it. Does not cost so much as Photoshop, way less in fact. Enjoy your Mac. Was always glad I finally made the move 4 years ago.

sweetbay said...

Love Honorine Jobert but for the last 2 years a black beetle eats all of it just as it's getting ready to bloom. I think I got 2 flowers this year. Hopefully those beetles will cycle out again at some point.

imho the big white ginger is the best one. For fragrance it can't be beat.

Phillip Oliver said...

I love that pink ginger and the anemone.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a beautiful place. I love the bridge. I need to plant some Hellebore niger, maybe this post will help me to remember to look for some.
The ginger is really pretty,I love their coloring.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Randy, the color echo of the bridge and the reds in the foliage is just wonderful.
The Anemone is so delicate. My daughter's roommate is from Carrboro...small world.
The pink ginger is really beautiful and in my VA garden my white ginger didn't have any yellow in its throat. Yours looks amazing.

Chloe m said...

That red bridge just works fabulously in that garden venue. If I tried something like that in my garden, it would be garish.
Can't wait to see pics from the art tour. Do tell.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Love the splash of color in the first photo with the bridge, gorgeous! I'll be curious to see how you like Mac. I've always been on the PC side of the fence, but have to admit I'm getting quite tempted by the Macs. I agree, Photoshop is prohibitively expensive!

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous shots from the gardens. My favorite is the reflection of the bridge.