Saturday, May 02, 2009

Clematis Henrii and More!

The Clematis henrii is just about in full bloom! If I'm right there are around 35 flowers on my 12 year old plant. A few days ago it was 21 flowers, still more to open too. Some of the blooms are a full 8 inches across. If you want to try a clematis this is the one to try. With all this plant has been though, it still overwhelms me each year with flowers. It has been moved several times and to be honest I have no clue were the plant is in the garden.

See what a few days does the photo below was taken on Thursday morning.

Another moved plant from my old place a dark blue Siberian Iris. Neglected on the hill below the peas, it still blooms. If I'd replant these and give the roots a little air I'm sure I'd have one heck of a patch of them.

New plant in the garden it is called Baptisia Carolina Moonlight. I like the native Baptisia tinctoria better and it is known to be a food plant for the Wild Indigo Duskywing. We also have Baptisia australis better known as Blue Wild Indigo and have found Wild Indigo Duskywing eggs on it after a female visited it and the caterpillars did come later. Moving my Blue Wild Indigo to a dried shadier location a few years ago did not help it.

Here is an update from this morning on the Super Sugar Snap Peas. I'll be picking some in the morning most likely.

On the screen on the porch on Thursday evening, I took this dragonfly photo on Friday morning. That dragonfly is a Common Whitetail, we have maybe 20 of them just in the front yard right now, a huge number for such a small space.



And one last item. Today I spent the day making and installing custom lattice around our deck and porch. I made the lattice with really good knot free treated pine 2 x 10s purchased at the big box store. I got 4 big sections made using 4- 2 x 10 x 8 cut into 7/16 inch strips. The pile of treated pine sawdust is huge, I'll have to haul it away. I'll be posting photos of the custom lattice soon.

13 comments:

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

Just a beautiful clematis! Clematis is fast becoming one of my favorites!
I'm on the hunt for the beautiful and hard to find Swamp clematis (Clematis Crispa)!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I saw the title of your post and came right over. I just planted this clematis and after seeing your pictures I can't wait for mine to bloom!
I just cannot believe that you have peas ready to pick! Ours are so small, it'll be months before they are ready. Looking forward to seeing what you've done with your porch and deck.

Randy Emmitt said...

Tessa,

I've seen Clematis crispa growing along a sewer line trail about 20 minutes from here, these are wild plants. Yes I'm getting more into clematis too.

Catherine, you'll love henrii. I'm sleeping lightly as I saw a deer in the road when I came back today, hoping they will not find our peas.

sweetbay said...

Your Clematis henryi is beautiful. Clematis crispa has been on my want list for a long time... one day...

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I'm agree with you Randy, it's one of the best types of clematis. I had it in my previous garden.Images are great. The iris is very impressive!

wiseacre said...

I need to replace my 'Radar Love' loss to a roofing job. I like the henrii and will have to check to make sure it's hardy this far north. How can you not love those huge white blooms.

Baptisia is also on my 'to get' list this year. I just like the look of the plant.

Randy Emmitt said...

Everyone I just counted the blooms on the henrii 60 and no more buds to open, wow! Thanks for commenting and stopping by!

Heather said...

That is a beautiful Clematis. I am done trying to plant them in my yard. i kill them every time. Not sure what it is that I do wrong. As long as you show yours off every year, I will be fine.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Randy, the large white Clematis Henryii is wonderful!! Like the screendoor picture of the dragonfly. Pretty cool.

tina said...

Wow! Very nice pictures. I too have the 'Carolina Moonlight' and am liking it very much! Easy to care for for sure. Those peas are looking mighty good.

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful clematis....I love white flowers.....

I have a vast collection of clematis, they are one of my favourite plants.....

The sugar snap peas look lovely and healthy.....yum, nothing like home grown.....

Ginger said...

Beautiful clematis! I just planted a couple of them and look forward to years of enjoyment.
Can't wait to see the lattice. We need something like that around our deck.

Unknown said...

Love your dragonfly photo! And the beautiful blooms. The Siberian iris is gorgeous too!